Tuesday 12 April 2016

Recipe: Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls

I've been looking for a light meal that I can have that's tasty but still healthy. Something that's not going to make me feel bloated or too full but still fills me up enough to feel satisfied. While a lot of the time I don't eat the healthiest (I eat far more pasta than really should be allowed!) sometimes I just need something light. I found this recipe for Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls on Pinch of Yum and it ticked all the boxes. I served it up for dinner one night then I ate the leftover for lunch for the next few days (I highly recommend making extra so you can keep eating it for lunch!) The sauce is amazing and I'm a sucker for a good hummus so they are probably the highlights of the bowl for me, plus they mix so well with the quinoa giving it extra taste and texture, don't take my word for it - go try it!


Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls
adapted from pinch of yum
INGREDIENTS
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
  • 1 16 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained (or roast your own red peppers and win the food game!)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • ½ teaspoon salt (more to taste)
  • juice of one lemon
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • ½ cup almonds

For the Mediterranean Bowls (ingredients I used in bold, mix and match to your own tastes)
  • cooked quinoa
  • spinach, kale, or cucumber
  • feta cheese
  • kalamata olives
  • pepperoncini
  • thinly sliced red onion
  • hummus
  • fresh basil or parsley
  • olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Pulse all the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth. The texture should be thick and textured.
  2. Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
  3. When the quinoa is done, build yourself a Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl.
  4. Store leftovers in separate containers and assemble each bowl just before serving, especially the greens and the sauces, as those will get soggy when stored with all the other ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment