Wednesday 4 May 2016

What I Read in April

I love to read but sometimes I find myself not prioritising it and spending too much time on Facebook or other social media. Consequently I've given myself the aim to read through the books on my 'want to read' shelf on Goodreads (find me here). While I don't aim to reduce my list to zero (where's the fun in that!) I do want to read through the vast backlog of books on my list and I thought it might be fun to share some of that journey with you all. I managed six books in April, here's a quick rundown of my thoughts and feeling on them.



Penryn is trying to survive. Because after the angels came to destroy the modern world there are no rules. Streets are ruled by gangs and angels are hunting for humans. When her sister is kidnapped Penryn will do everything she can to find her even if it means working with the enemy. Everything could happen in this new dangerous world. (source: Goodreads)

I enjoyed this book a lot, I felt like it was a fitting end to a trilogy that I very much enjoyed. It's an easy read being YA fiction and I finished it over a few days. I won't outline the plot incase anyone is interested but hasn't read the first two books in the series! (****)

(Copy from my local library)



Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them. Home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all... (source: Goodreads)

After I discovered that Joe Hill was the son of Stephen King (my all time favourite author) and that he too writes horror, I couldn't resist having a go and some of his books. I opted for something a little different and gave this graphic novel a try. It was a good decision. I can't wait to read the rest of this series and to try some of Hill's novels. A quick read (I finished this story in an afternoon) but oh so satisfying, Hill seems to be a master of the macabre, just like his father. (****)

(Copy from my local library)



To the outside world Shadow Falls is just an ordinary camp for troubled teens nestled deep in the woods. But the kids at Shadow Falls are far from ordinary. They’re supernatural. And from the moment high school student Kylie Galen enters this world of fairies, vampires, werewolves, and shapeshifters, she’s had one burning question: What am I? With her new powers, new friends, and two sexy paranormal boys vying for her attention, Kylie’s whole world is about to change. (source: Goodreads)

It took me a while to get into this book but in the end I did really enjoy it. I was much more interested in Kylie's journey into the supernatural than the love triangle (or perhaps square??? What's it called when there are more than 3 people!?) however a fair amount of airtime was given to her romantic woes. I may have enjoyed it more had a read it rather than listening to an audio version so I could have skimmed over those parts. Overall I enjoyed it and will give the next book a try. (***)

(Audiobook on Overdrive)



Nine-year-old Ada has never left her one-room apartment. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada’s twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn’t waste a minute—she sneaks out to join him. (source: Goodreads)

I have a soft spot for historical fiction. And for YA fiction. This fulfilled both those requirements nicely. A nice optimistic take on a war novel this book is filled with a lot a heart. It accurately portrays the emotions of the situation, both good and bad, and has very uplifting themes of hard work, love and hope. (****)



Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel' d'Hiv' roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family's apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours.

Paris, May 2002: On Vel' d'Hiv's 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France's past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. Julia finds herself compelled to retrace the girl's ordeal, from that terrible term in the Vel d'Hiv', to the camps, and beyond. As she probes into Sarah's past, she begins to question her own place in France, and to reevaluate her marriage and her life. (source: Goodreads)

Another historical fiction but this time an adult book. This book is about a subject I am less familiar with, the Vel' d'Hiv round up during World War 2, a topic which is sadly often left out of our histories. I enjoyed the parts of the story which revolved around this part of history (Sarah's story) and think it was great to put a spotlight on this part of history however that is where my interest for this book ends. Julia's part of the story did not engage me and I found it very hard to be sympathetic to her problems. This book would have been better had it continued to swap between the two stories however I found my interest wavering as Sarah's story came to an end and endless Julia chapters finished the book. (***)

(Copy from my local library)  



F. Scott Fitzgerald’s third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted “gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession,” it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s. (source: Goodreads)

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I only just finished Gatsby last month, especially since I have had my father's battered copy sitting on my shelf since he gave it to me a few years ago, I love the movie (have even used it as a text for some of my classes) and one of my rabbits is named for Daisy Buchanan. However, all embarrassment aside, I genuinely love this book. It's a classic for a reason - go read it already! I'll be over here adding more Fitzgerald to my reading list. (*****)

(copy from my dear old dad's bookshelf)

If you have made it to the end, thanks for reading my rambles!
A xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment